Cooperating With God
Shining Like Stars
1. Read Philippians 2:12-13. Whenever you see the word therefore you ask what is it there for. So what is it there for?
2. There is an old saying “while the cats away the mice will play.” What is that referring to? Read Colossians 3:17 and Philippians 2:12. Why do you think it would be important to be more obedient to our authorities when they aren’t around than when they are from a Christian perspective? Try and think of ways in which this could apply to you in your life. What will you do about this?
3. Try and explain what Paul means by “continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling?” Break your thoughts down into details. Remember you can’t work for your salvation.
4. Do you think Paul wants Christians to walk around afraid of God? Do you walk around afraid of God? If so, explain why. If he doesn’t mean that, then what does he mean?
5. Paul gives us his reasoning for working out our salvation in verse 13. What is it? What do you think that means? What does it mean to you specifically? Give some examples of how this has worked in your life. In what ways are verses 12 and 13 really cool and meaningful verses?
6. Read verses 14-15. How is verse 14 both appealing to you and convicting to you? Try and think of five areas in your life that you complain too much. How could you start working on not complaining about these?
7. Verse 15 gives the reason for doing everything without complaining. Give all the reasons and break each one down showing how this would make you a “SHINING STAR.”